2009年1月21日水曜日

Table manners

Have you ever eaten in a foreign restaurant? Where? What did you eat? Did you make any mistakes? Please explain your experience. Did you learn anything?

Yes. I have eaten at a Thai restaurant once. I ate green curry, tom yam kung, and some spicy side dishes. I didn't care if I was doing any mistakes at that time since that wasn't formal type of restaurant. However, when I look back now, I realized that I was lifting my plates up during the lunch there and that it's a bad manner in Thailand. Although many people there seemed that they also didn't know about Thai manner that much(considering the fact that many Japanese people there were making same mistake as mine), I will try to follow the rules as much as I can next time. I guess that's the way to show my politeness to the cooks, and that will make the meal more enjoyable soaking up the atmosphere.

Though I knew that most of Thai food are spicy, I still needed to say "wow, this is hot" like a hundred of time. So, I needed to drink a lot of water.

Therefore, what I learned were "it's good to follow the rules in foreign restaurants" and "Thai food was hot after all."

3 件のコメント:

no.1-jm さんのコメント...

We need to follow their rules, but I just thought enjoy eating food is the most important!!

Blogger さんのコメント...

I have same experience.
When I went to thai restaurant, I also lift my plate up. At that time, I didn't notice about my mistake.

HJU Teacher さんのコメント...

The holding of a dish is a problem for Japanese in a foreign country! It is hard to break an old habit!